Before seeking help from a psychosexual therapist it is best if you speak to your medical team to check for physiological causes that are treatable.

Hopefully this section has helped you understand why your sex life has changed. If your sexual problems are specifically because of emotional difficulties following your diagnosis or due to relationship difficulties, then other forms of counselling (either individual or couple) may be more suitable than sex therapy.

Your CNS may be experienced in offering psychosexual support, ask them if this is a service they can deliver or if there are services within the hospital that you can be referred to. Some cancer centres may offer psychosexual services as part of their survivorship and recovery packages, either in the hospital or in a community setting, again ask your CNS or the Macmillan Information Officer attached to the cancer centre. 

Alternatively you could ask your GP if they can refer you to a sex therapist. Some GP’s have contracts set up with therapists to deliver psychosexual therapy, if yours doesn’t they may be able to source special funding from an exceptional treatment panel to refer you to specialist services. Always ask as this will highlight the need for these services to be available.

It is important to note that if you were affected by domestic abuse or sexual assault in your life before cancer your diagnosis and subsequent treatment for cervical cancer may make things feel more complicated. It is important that you let your CNS know this so they can ensure they refer you to the right services. 

You may like to visit our useful links page on sex and relationships.


"How to Access Psychosexual Services." Jo's Cervical Cancer Trust. N.p., 19 Aug. 2013. Web. 02 Mar. 2015.